top of page

Frequent Asked Questions


In Switzerland there are 4 national languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh (spoken especially in the canton of Grisons). Of course, English as the language of science is widely spoken and understood worldwide. In addition, the Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking communities are extensive in Suiza and the probability of finding a Chilean is high.

Cost of living

The cost for a student to come to Switzerland is high compared to the cost of living in Chile. We recommend getting a scholarship or a job at the university during the time of your stay. The average costs in US dollars (USD) are:

- University semester: 750 USD

- Rent: 550 USD (university residence) or 650 USD (room in shared apartment)

- Food: 600 - 800 USD

- Mandatory medical insurance: 100 USD

- Portable phone plan: 25 - 40 USD

- Public transport card: 45 USD

- Others: 100 USD


Residence permit

When you come to Switzerland for studies (and afterwards) it is always good to know what residence permit you have:

- Chilean passport: duration of 3 months within the "Schengen zone"(all of Europe and Switzerland).

- Permit B (student): duration of the entire study period, it is renewed annually and allows you to work up to a maximum of 15 hours per week. 

- L permit: duration of 6 months, once the studies are finished, to find a job or other professional training. 

Preparing your documents

The documents that you must prepare and translate into English (another language depending on the canton you arrive in if you want to increase your chances of finding a secondary job and integrating easily) are:

- Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter

The documents that you must certify before a notary public and apostille them at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Agustinas 1320, Santiago, Chile) are:

- Copy of the high school diploma

- Copy of the university education diploma

- Copy of the university transcript 

bottom of page